Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thoughts on "Aaawwubbis" and introductory clauses

It was really helpful to learn about conjunctions. Whenever I use to think of conjunctions I would think “and, but, or.” So this lesson was really interesting, and I really think it was beneficial to learn about subordinating conjunctions and “aaawwubbis” (after, although, as, when, where, until, before, because, if, since). In some papers, I use subordinating conjunctions a lot. So, it was good that as a writer I learned exactly what I was doing. That happens so often, we learn how to do something after years of writing, but we don’t know what we are doing. Thankfully, knowing what structures we’re using isn’t necessary to write.
After learning about subordinating conjunctions we got to learn the names of clauses: independent versus dependent, main versus subordinate, and sentence versus dependent clauses. I think that in essence there are really two types of clauses. So it was neat to learn that, although they can be called by different names in different contexts, they are really the same thing.
I asked a question about the difference between “though” and “although.” Barbara had told the class that we tended to use them in the wrong places, and mix them up. Since I tend to use “although” a lot, I wanted to know if I was using it wrong. I learned that “although” is an “aaawwubbis” and that “though” is an introductory element. We also learned that subordinating clauses are different from introductory clauses, and that introductory clauses require a comma.
Shannon and Stephanie gave a good lesson on introductory elements. I have used introductory clauses for a long time and, while I don’t think I have used them wrong, I can now say with certainty that an introductory element, or clause, is not crucial to the sentence and is not a complete thought.
I really enjoyed the week. I learned about “aaawubis” and introductory elements. In the future I hope to continue to have questions answered that I may not know I have. I would never have thought to have asked about “though” and “although” had the subject not come up in class.
Question: What is the difference between saying “you did really well”, to “you did really good.” I believe good is wrong, why?

1 comment:

  1. “Well” is an adverb that modifies the verb did whereas “good” is an adjective that requires a noun to modify, which there isn’t one.
    For example:
    You sang the song very well. (Well is modifying the verb, sang.)

    So Good is an adjective and well is an adverb.

    It helps to try and use the adjective, good, when describing something or someone. So, use good when stating how something or someone is. And use the adverb, well, when describing how something or someone does something. [This isn’t a hundred present, but it helps].

    ReplyDelete