Sunday, September 27, 2009

Continuing Thoughts

I thought it was great that we were able to go over prepositions. The review helped me a lot and I enjoyed the example Barbara used of the plane and the cloud. A picture like that helps with any basic questions a person might have, reminding you of those prepositions dealing with location and direction.
I thought the second Socratic circle was a great success. Just about everyone had something to add to the conversation, and it was a lot easier I felt to participate. The atmosphere was more laid back. I didn’t feel like if I didn’t say something right away that I wouldn’t have the time to add something later. I also enjoyed the reading that we were given.
The reading was pretty controversial. Some people thought it was great, while others were much more skeptical. At the very least I liked how we got to read a fictional story about a kid that was going through the process of learning how to form sentences. I had no idea that it was such a long process. It was kind of funny that we were a little disbelieving of the story and how Dora seemed to be at such a beginning phase and was trying to master punctuation at the same time. There were many of us who wondered why she would be working on punctuation if she couldn’t even spell decently. At the end of the class Barbara explained that the phases that Dora was going through were accepted steps to mastering the sentence. I thought that was really interesting.
In going forward with the class I hope we continue to learn more about the different parts of the sentence. I think that we have learned a lot so far. We have learned about nouns, verbs, and adjectives. In addition we’ve also learned about adverbs, prepositions and pronouns. I’m not really sure what else is out there, but I feel it has been extremely beneficial to learn these details so that we are, as teachers, hopefully the best informed in the class. I dread getting up in front of the class and being told by a student that I am wrong. As a teacher I think you want to know when you’re wrong, but I would like to minimize the possibilities and hopefully not be told by a fifteen year old that I am incorrect.

Question: Are you allowed to list more than three things at a time? I don’t think you’re supposed to, but what if I need to list five things?
For example: pigs, horses, sheep, cows, and dogs

1 comment:

  1. You can list more than three things when necessary. When it is a longer list though I believe that you are supposed to head it off with a colon. So if you had a few more animals you would list it after that.
    For example
    The farmer counted all of his animals which included the: cows, horses, sheep, dogs, cats, and goats.

    Hope this helps :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete